The shot itself wasn't too bad. It was a little sore the next day but then I thought I was doing ok. About 10 days later, my ankle started tightening up and it felt like I sprained it. I thought maybe I had changed the way I was walking because of the shot and had just made my ankle sore but then I started noticing a red mark that seemed to get bigger each day and it got to where I could hardly stand on it at all. Two weeks after I got the shot, I was really hurting, my ankle was fevering and couldn't put weight on it at all. It was a Monday and the day the boys started their basketball camp. I was barely able to walk (or hobble really) into the building then waited for my dad to come by to drop off some crutches for me to use. Up to that point, I had been rolling around my house on our office chair when I needed to go anywhere and my mom had brought down my grandma Singleton's walker that I had tried using a little bit so I was excited to have the crutches.
![]() |
| It was so swollen & the pic doesn't do the red color justice |
![]() |
The puss pocket forming at the injection site
|
I drove myself to the doctors office but with everything they had to do, Randy had to come pick me up. The doctor lanced off the bump and drained the puss from inside. He couldn't believe how much was in there. He then did a saline rinse where he'd insert a syringe as far into the wound as he could and he'd shoot the saline through my foot. I could feel it go clear through my foot. He gave me an ankle block to numb my foot while he worked but I could feel the cold saline and the shot for the block hurt pretty bad. It would "zing" my little toe. It was a pretty intense pain to be honest and I have a pretty high pain tolerance. I was glad Randy was with me through all of this. He came every time which was every day for the next 10 days.
The doctor put me on two pill forms of antibiotics and I had an antibiotic shot each day I went in. Each day he would do a saline rinse so he had to give me a nerve block every time just about the ankle. After 10 days of doing this, I had a full circle of shot marks and I'm not going to lie, they hurt. :( It would "zing" the nerve to my little toe every time and to this day, my little toe is a little numb. The procedure itself hurt quite a bit too. It would make my foot ache so bad.
![]() |
| This was how my foot looked for 6 weeks |
Grandma & grandpa let the kids stay with them while Randy took me home. I called the doctor on the way and told him I had a 103 fever and he told me to take some pain pills and if it didn't come down under 101 in a couple hours to go to the ER. I took the pills and went to bed and luckily it did come down. I went in for another treatment the next morning and I felt a little better even though I had a low fever. But I was able to go back up to Pine Valley to spend the day with the family.
I continued to improve little by little every day but I even had to take my wheelchair to Lagoon with us for the Ogden Family Reunion in the middle of July. I was somewhat walking by that point but I knew there was no way I would make it trying to walk around all day so I gave in and took it. My foot had been in the same relaxed position for so long that it took some time to get the movement back. But I pretty much sat on the couch for 6 weeks and my poor kids and hubby had to help me with everything. Things were starting to get back to normal by the time school started but the kids will never let me live it down that we pretty much did nothing over the summer and I ruined it for them. I still feel really bad about it. But good news is, I was off my foot long enough that the plantar fasciitis went away. :) Now I just need to get rid of it in my other foot...but I'm a little worried about it so it might be a while before I try anything.












No comments:
Post a Comment