Thursday, November 19, 2015

Dixie Classic Golf Tourney

A couple weeks ago Randy called me from work and said that he'd been invited to play in the Dixie Classic golf tournament.  He was calling to ask me if it was ok if he played since we had thought about going on a temple trip that weekend.  But he was so excited about it, how could I say no. :)

He went and got registered Thursday night where they gave him is "swag bag" loaded with lots of goodies like a hat, sunglasses, leather wallet, a jacket and some other things.  Plus they gave him $200 to spend at the Nike store they had there.  He's needed some new golf shoes for a while so that's what I had planned to give him for Christmas but he got them there so now I need to come up with something else. :(  He's very much an Adidas guy but he said he could overlook the Nike signs for free. :)  He also got a few shirts and some socks with his Nike cash.

Friday morning he checked in at Sunbrook a little after 8:00 and they had a shotgun start at 9:00.  He was assigned to golf on the GE Aviation team and the "celebrity" on their team was Vern Law.  He was a Cy Young award winning pitcher for the Pittsburgh Pirates back in 1960 and won 2 games in the World Series.  His son, Vance, coached BYU baseball for a lot of years.

He got finished about 3:00 so he got home earlier than a usual work day but while he was off playing, Mia had gotten sick and had been throwing up all day so I was busy with her.  I was stressing out about what to do for Friday night because as part of the golf tournament, there was a banquet at the college that he had two tickets to and we didn't have anyone to watch our kids.  Randy's parents were going to a play at Dixie High School at 7:30 and since Mia was sick, I didn't want to ask one of my sisters or young woman in the ward.  We decided that we'd have grandma & grandpa Ogden come sit with the kids from 6-7:00 then Halen would be in charge until we got home.  He was a little nervous at first but I was a LOT more nervous. :)  This was the first time we had left the kids alone and been so far away.  I've run to the school or gone visiting teaching in the neighborhood before but never been that far away.  So I had my phone close by once 7:00 hit. :)  Halen text me when grandma & grandpa left and I kept texting him every 5 or 10 minutes until we left which was about 7:30.  But they were just watching a movie when Randy got there and they didn't hardly realize that we'd been gone.  Luckily Mia waited until Randy was home to throw up again too. :(

Saturday morning was the same golf schedule so Randy was off and gone by about 8:00 and was home around 3:00.  They took this picture before they finished.
 
Randy had such a great time!  He was excited just to get to go play golf but to be able to rub shoulders with some of the city's top execs was a good experience for him too.  He's hoping someone drops out next year too so maybe he can participate again. :)

No comments: