Saturday, January 31, 2015

Student of the Month (Halen)

The Friday before the Thanksgiving break was the school assembly for the Students of the Month.  I got an email earlier in the week saying that Alex was the student of the month for the Kindergarten classes.  Since Alex has afternoon classes, I had to wake him up early to go and told him where we were going.  He's not a morning person but he was excited enough that he got ready without me having to say too much.  We got there and found a seat where he could get to the front easily and watched everyone come in.  Halen was excited to see us there too.
It's is blurry but I had to get a pic of Halen with his class
We waited and listened for Alex's name to be called but it wasn't in the first round of awards.  But during the second round Halen's name was called.  It's a good things I already had my camera ready or I would have felt really bad.  And I thought, "wow, it's a good thing I got the email saying that Alex was getting an award or I would have missed Halen getting his award."
Getting the Student of the Month in Math for 2nd grade
Well, the awards assembly ended and the kids went back to their classes and Alex never had his name called.  So I stopped in the office and asked the secretary what happened and she she said she must have picked the wrong name on the email .  Alex was feeling pretty bad because he was pretty excited but I told him the year wasn't over and maybe his teacher would put his name in another time.  We went home and got his mind off of it and luckily I was right about his teacher because Alex got an award in January (see later post Ü).

But it was a nice surprise for Halen to have his name called.  He's definitely got a math mind and his teacher knows that.  He tested at a 4th/5th grade level so his teacher has been working with a 4th grade teacher giving him some advanced math homework and he even breezes through that.  It makes me nervous because he's quickly going to be at a point that I can't help him much anymore but I'm so proud of him and his willingness to work hard at school.
I took this pic of the bulletin board at the school

No comments: