Thursday, March 31, 2016

Christmas Eve/Day

We started doing our own Christmas Eve festivities with just our little family a couple years ago when Randy's parents were on their mission and we didn't really have anywhere else to go.  It was a hard change for me to not be with extended family on Christmas Eve since I'd been doing it for almost 35 years, but it's actually turned into something I really look forward to and can't wait to spend time alone with just my family.  We've started some our own traditions that are pretty simple but they're things we've all come to love even after only doing them for a couple years.

We started out the day going to breakfast.  We have been going to IHOP but the last 2 years, we've had to wait quit a while before getting seated so we decided to try Village Inn this year.  It was busy but seemed to be quicker than what IHOP would have been.  We saw Marsha and her family there too which was fun. I wish I would have taken some pics at breakfast but I was too busy doing the activities on the back of the kids menus that I forgot. :)

After breakfast, we made a stop at the temple to see the nativity scene there.  We hadn't made it over yet and figured what better time than Christmas Eve to remember our Savior and the reason we celebrate this wonderful time of year.  I get teary-eyed every time listening to the story read out of the Bible and hearing President Monson's voice.  It's such a special time of year and I'm glad I could spend it with my family.
The rest of the afternoon was spent wrapping last minute presents and getting ready for the evening activities while Mia had a nap.  When she woke up, we started making dinner.  The kids love making homemade pizza so that's our new Christmas Eve dinner.  It's not the most traditional Christmas dinner but it's easy and we love it
Can't wait to dig in
After dinner, we headed out in the van to do our annual Christmas light scavenger hunt.  We'd been out looking at lights several times during the month so we had an idea of where to go to check off our list but there's always an item or two that we really have to hunt for.  Luckily we've been able to eventually find everything so we can get our treat when we get home.
Let's go find some lights!
After our treat, we sang some fun Christmas songs.  The kids give me a little grief about singing after about 3 songs but I make them indulge me and keep singing until we've sang everything in my pile of sheet music.
Singing our hearts out
Then it's FINALLY time for bed and to try to get some sleep before the Big Guy comes by.  The boys have started sleeping in the same room on holidays so we took Alex's mattress into Halen's room for the night.  I'm sure Mia will join in eventually but she slept in her own bed again this year.

So far, our kids haven't been too bad with staying up way late with excitement.  They lay in bed and talk and giggle for a while but Halen's one to go to sleep pretty quick and once he's out, Alex doesn't have anyone to talk to so he'll give in too.  Once, they were asleep, Santa was able to stop by and leave some fun things for us.
Mom & dad (mostly dad) asked for a new TV & Mia asked for a Barbie camper
Alex asked for a tablet & Halen wanted a DS game (mom & dad kinda talked him into asking for a BB gun too)
We waited until we started hearing noises from the boys room about 7:30 before we got up.  We made everyone put socks on and go to the bathroom before letting them storm the living room.  They think we're mean to make them do that but it's better than having to take a potty break in the middle of opening presents. :)  
Mia was so surprised she was frozen :)
Alex had wanted a BB gun more than Halen so they were confused at which presents were theirs :)
Mia was excited to get a My Little Pony toothbrush
Halen was annoyed that I kept taking pics of him :)
I like taking turns opening presents so I can see what everyone gets & it's not over in 2 seconds
Randy got some records to play on his record player & he acted excited about them for my sake :)
Mia enlisted the help of her brothers to help her open her new suitcase
The boys played their news games & I painted Mia's nails with her new polish
Alex's presents 
Halen's loot 
Mia's presents seems to have a lot of pink :)
Mom & dad came out with a haul too
Grandma & grandpa Simkins came over to see what we got spend some time with the kids before continuing their rounds to the other houses.  My grandpa Singleton & Elva stopped by too.  After we played with our new stuff for a little bit and had some lunch, we loaded up the van and headed up to the cabin for the Ogden Family party the next day.  The kids had fun showing grandma & grandpa Ogden what they got and how everything worked.  It sure was a fun day!  Merry Christmas!!!

No comments: