Thursday, June 11, 2015

End of Year Assembly

The week before school got out, I got an email saying that Alex would be receiving the Sunshine of the Year award for Kindergarten.  It was supposed to be a surprise but Alex always knows there's something up because he goes to afternoon Kindergarten and the assemblies are in the morning so he's not usually there unless he or Halen is getting an award or something.  But he didn't know what award he was getting so I guess it was still a surprise.  It was a longer assembly because they gave out a lot of awards and Alex was almost the last one to get his.  As part of his award, he got to pick out a backpack from what was left that had some school supplies and candy inside.  He was pretty excited about it.  We're so proud of Alex and the good kid he is.  The Sunshine of the Year is someone who is helpful, cheerful and encouraging to others and Alex definitely fits all that.
Alex getting his certificate from Principal Haslam
Picking out his backpack...not much choice :)
 
This pic at home was a better one than the one I got at school :)
The gave a lot of academic achievement awards and Halen was confused at why he didn't get one because he knew he was at the top of the class all year.  He kept looking at me wondering if his name was going to be called but it wasn't.  I emailed his teacher and just asked how far away he was from getting one and she didn't realize that his name wasn't called and he was supposed to have gotten a President's Education Award so she did a little presentation in class and gave him his certificate.  He was pretty excited to come home and show me but had a hard time holding still while I took a picture so this is the best I could get from him.
I just so proud of both of my boys and the hard work they put in to school and how thoughtful they are to everyone.  Both of them are sad that the school year is ending.

No comments: