Friday, November 21, 2014

Deer Hunt 2014/Alex's Family Party

We got up Friday morning, Alex's actual birthday, and packed up to head to Enterprise for the deer hunt.  We dropped off a few things at grandma's house but since everyone else was already up the mountain, we didn't stay long and headed up as well.  I was able to drive the van up the dirt road for most of the way and parked it at the bottom of the hill and hiked/4-wheeled in the last 1/2 mile.  The boys were SO excited to get playing on the mountain with their cousins.  We hardly got into camp before they took off for their "hut".  It's so fun to watch them play in the same trees that me and my cousins played in when we were their age since we've been going to the same spot for (dare I say it?) 30+ years.
A zoomed in look at the kids playing up the mountain in their "hut"
Us girls hanging out in camp

Alex, Cassidy, Halen & Mia at the "Simkins Camp Site"
We played and visited and ate some yummy dutch oven chicken and potatoes and sat around the campfire that evening.  Scott & Josie gave Alex a glow-in-the-dark ball so the kids played with that in the dark and we all made smores and roasted marshmallows.  The weather was great.  It was a little windy in the afternoon but the evening was fine.  About 9:00 Randy, Mia & I headed back to town with Marsha & Katie to stay the night.  Josie and Bobbi and their kids were already there.  The boys stayed in the trailer with grandma, Cassidy and Jaxon.  I don't think grandma got much sleep but the kids sure had fun.

Saturday morning we headed back up to camp where Randy took over again in his role as breakfast chef.  He does such a good job making us pancakes, bacon and eggs.  There's nothing like breakfast outside...it's one of my favorite things.

The guys got back into camp around 11 after seeing a couple buck but not shooting any.  They ate a quick breakfast then we packed up camp and headed for town.  Once everyone got back to the house we had a little family party for Alex to have more cake and ice cream and open more presents.  I really thought I took a picture of his cake but I can't seem to find it.  I'm SO sad.  I know I got it on video but it's not the same.  But he chose a jack-o-lantern pumpkin cake so hopefully you can picture it. :)
Alex about to blow out his candles
Four generations
Mia helping herself to Alex's candy while he opens presents
Alex has gotten into tennis lately so he got his own racket
Alex was pretty spoiled with all the fun presents he got.  He's a lucky boy to have so many people who love him.  Can't believe he's already 6!  We love his fun, thoughtful personality and just love having him be part of our family.  We love you Alex!!!

After the party, we drove up to the Singleton camp to have dinner with Lee & Shellie and grandpa & Elva.  We got there and had just enough time to grill and burger and get it eaten before it started sprinkling a little bit so we decided that was a good time to head back to St. George.  We got home in enough time we were able to shower and start a load of laundry to get that wonderful campfire smoky smell out of the house.  It was a short getaway but it was fun and something my kids look forward to every year.

No comments: