Friday, October 8, 2010

Sweden & Denmark Trip (Day 6)

We woke up early Tuesday morning to start our long journey home. It took about an hour to drive to the airport from our hotel. Across the street from the rental car companies is a hostel unlike any we had see before so we had to take a picture:

We got to the airport about 1 1/2 hours before our flight was scheduled to leave only to find out that it was delayed for another 1 1/2 hours after that. So by the time the plane actually got there and we were able to board, we left 2 hours late and we knew it would make it difficult to make our connection at JFK. BUT we were able to get business-class again so we couldn't complain too much and it for sure helps make the trip a little nicer. We definitely like riding in the pointy end of the plane. Ü As soon as you get to your seat, they flight attendant is right there offering champagne or orange juice in these cute glasses:

Sweden is made up of a bunch of islands, some bigger than others. This is the view of the countryside from the plane as we took off:
About half way through the flight, the captain came on the PA and told us to look out the right side of the plane. He said we were flying past Greenland and had a rare glimpse of the country. Normally it's too cloudy to see much of it but it was clear that day. He pointed out that the mountain tops we could see were 2-3 miles high and that the snow and ice around the base was over 1 mile thick. Wow, that's crazy!

Obviously we got to JFK later than we planned and by the time we got through customs, we had for sure missed out flight to Salt Lake. Luckily there was another one 3 hours later so again we had to wait. But I got to call the boys and talk to them for the first time in a week which was fun. It was all I could do not to break out in tears again but I knew I was on my home to see them soon instead of just leaving them. The only thing was that since we missed the SLC flight, we also missed the St G flight so we wouldn't make it home at all that night.
Luckily Randy's aunt & uncle live like 15 minutes from the airport in Salt Lake and they let us stay there for the night and took us back to the airport at 6 am the next morning. Thanks so much Scott & LuAnn for helping us out again.
We finally made it to St G about 9 am Wednesday morning. I was going to try to sleep on the flight down but I was so excited to see the boys that I couldn't. Grandma & Grandpa Ogden had them at the airport to greet us and I was so happy to see them!
The trip was way fun and Randy & I were definitely due for some couple time so it was nice. As much as I missed the boys, we needed to have some time without them. I think it makes me a better mom too. It had been a long time since I'd had a break like that. Now it's back to the grind and everyday life. I really hate unpacking and having to do a weeks'-worth of laundry.

1 comment:

Coombs N Company said...

Once again.....living vicariously through you! What an amaing trip! I want to know how you found all those cool places to visit? Did you do alot of studying before you left? I was also wondering if you have a camera with timer on it or did you find people to take your pictures in those remote places? What a blast!