Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicago Trip

So we were planning a trip to Scandinavia for our anniversary this year but things weren't working out with flights and schedules so we decided to just do a short weekend trip and try to go international in a couple weeks. We decided to go to Chicago last Thursday and flew out Friday morning. We got to the Windy City about 3:00 Friday afternoon and this was our view from the plane:
We had planned to go to dinner that night at the Hard Rock then go to a White Sox game but it took us a little longer than we thought to train downtown from our hotel so we just went straight to the baseball game. We got tickets real cheap from someone on the street and even though they were way up high, we had a good time. The White Sox lost to the Tigers but it was fun to see Andrew Jones and Manny Ramirez anyway.

Us in front of US Cellular Field
There was an amazing view of the city from
the ballpark
Saturday morning we woke up to rain but it let up by the time we got into the city. We headed downtown to do a little sightseeing and stopped first at Wrigley Field. We hoped we could catch a Cubs game but unfortunately they were out of town...maybe next time.

Us in front of Wrigley Field
We headed over to the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower) and even though the sky deck was open, they said there was 0% visibility because of the clouds. So we settled for a picture from the bottom.
After wondering around downtown for a while, we trained back to the airport and picked up our rental car. We were trying to make the 6:00 session at the temple and of course (as it is in most cities) it took us longer to get there than we thought. So we didn't get a chance to take many pics before we had to go in. The session was so full they had to split it and do another one at 6:30. Since the zipper on my temple dress broke, I was late getting into the chapel so we fell into the later session. It was completely dark by the time we got out so our pictures are mostly in the dark...oh well.
Us by the sign outside the temple
After the temple we were starving and Randy was really looking forward to eating a Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Gino's East. I'm not a huge deep dish pizza fan but I have to admit that it was pretty good. They don't make it until you order it so we had a 40 minute wait but it was worth it.
We were hoping to take the later flight home Sunday night but as it always does, the flights kept changing so we decided we better go earlier to make sure we make it home. Our flight left about 1:00 and we were back in St G by about 6:30. We met my parents in Veyo to pick up the boys and I was so excited to see them. It's nice to get away once in a while just to recharge and relax and help you appreciate the things you have.
It was a short trip and I know we missed a lot of things in Chicago but we still had a good time. I have to admit that I wasn't that excited to go to Chicago since I'm not a big city person but I really didn't mind it. I could never live there but it is a fun place to visit. Good times were had by all.

2 comments:

Keli said...

Ah, my town. I miss it there. I don't miss the cold winters, though, that's for sure.

Coombs N Company said...

What a fun thing to do. You two are so spontaneous! I will just have to live vicariously through you! Looks like lots of fun!