Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hard Lessons Learned

Today Halen and I both learned a lesson the hard way. Halen (hopefully) learned NOT to climb up the dresser and I learned that when I close the door to his bedroom to keep him from coming out while (supposedly) taking his nap, I need to check on him when it gets a little TOO quiet and I know there wasn't enough time for him to fall asleep.

When I heard the crash, I knew it was bad, then hearing Halen start screaming made me run that much faster. I can't tell you the fear that hit me when I opened the door and saw the dresser tipped over and Halen caught underneath. I was on the phone with my mom at the time and I dropped it as soon as I got into the room and saw what happened. Halen must have been pretty close to the top when it came over because really it was only his right leg that was holding most of the weight and it was mostly just from the top drawer. I purposely don't put a lot of heavy things into the dresser just for this reason so it's mostly clothes, blankets, wipes, lotions, etc. I'm just thankful we had moved the 13" TV that was on top of the dresser a few months ago.
For the most part, Halen came away unscathed with just a couple bruises on his head and nose and a piece of skin that got scraped away on his finger. I think it scared us both more than anything so we were lucky this time. I just hope he's learned not to do it again.

This is what I found in Halen's room

Halen showing off his bandaid (believe it or
not, I had to really talk him into putting one on)

The bruises on the side of Halen's face

4 comments:

Coombs N Company said...

I am so sorry that you had a rough day. Doesn't it make you feel like you are failing as a mom? Well you are a great mom and they are just kids. I have many more pictures of Cody that look so much worse and some of them are even inflicted by me! I am glad that he is all right and that you didn't have a heart attack! Love reading about you and seeing your pictures because we are so lame that we never call each other. Love ya tons!
SuLynn

Drake Family said...

I can relate. I feel like I have those kind of things happen almost daily, but maybe that's because I have 2 little monkeys. I am glad that Halen wasn't hurt worse than that! Hopefully your're right...he learned his lesson.

czstephensfam said...

That is so scary Alena. I'm glad Halen is ok.

Bobbi Simkins said...

scary! glad he is ok