Thursday, February 3, 2011

Baby It's Cold Inside

Why is it that that your AC only goes out at the hottest time of summer and your heater only goes out during the coldest part of the winter? The only time our AC has gone out was in our old house during July when it was 116 and I was 7 months pregnant no less. : (

Then just a couple days ago, we got blasted with some arctic air that only let us get into the low 30's for the day and wouldn't you know it, our furnace went out! I noticed it wasn't coming on Tuesday afternoon so I called Randy to let him know. He has a friend here in the ward who owns a HVAC business so he gave him a call and he said he would come by before heading to the Young Men's activity. Well, I guess he was the only leader who was going to the activity so he ended up going early and didn't have time to stop by.

We knew it was going to be a cold night so we decided that our only option would be to put all 4 of us in the same bed to stay warm. I really didn't think it would be that difficult to sleep with a 4 year old and a 2 year old; they don't take up that much space, right? WRONG! We have a king-sized bed but Randy & I each had about 2 feet to sleep on while the 2 "little" boys had the rest of the bed. Needless to say, mom and dad didn't get much sleep. But we did stay warm. Ü

When we went to bed, it was 59 degrees in our house and when we got up it was 50...brrr. It was definitely cold. So cold that I didn't want to stay in the house so we went and had breakfast over at my grandparents and hung out there for a few hours.

We spent the afternoon back at our house. We just stayed upstairs where it was a little warmer with a space heater and played games and watched movies. The boys loved it. Our friend was able to come over after he got off work and tweaked a couple things on the furnace and was done in about 15 minutes.

We are very grateful for great friends who are so willing to help us out. Heat is something that we have taken for granted but not any more. It was nice to wake up to our 70 degree house and not try to force the kids to stay under blankets all day. Ü

2 comments:

Bobbi Simkins said...

Brrr. Sounds like quite the adventure! see u sunday!

Coombs N Company said...

Isn't that just the way that things go! I am glad that you got it fixed. Sleeping in the bed with 4 is no fun! :)